Instant messaging (or chat) allows users of the TrueConf client applications to exchange text messages during a video call or a group video conference, as well as when not in the conference.
Users can use instant messaging:
- During a video call using a personal chat (one-on-one with any user).
- During a group conference in a general chat room, whereby all participants can communicate together simultaneously and in the meantime with any selected user in personal chat.
- Outside the conference, that is one-on-one with any active user.
You can call your conversation partner right from the chat pane by adding him to the Address book (if he’s not available there) and view the chat history. To the left of your conversation partner’s name, there’s a color indicator that shows the status of the user at the moment.
|Instant Messaging is available in|
Why Is It Useful?
If for some reason the users can not communicate with each other via videoconferencing, they can communicate in chat via text messages. Even if the user is not currently online, you can send him a text message - he will get it immediately after logging in. During a video call, users can send data to the chat, like website links, the names of computer software, books, music, etc. During the asymmetric group conference where not all users are interacting with each other via a video, it is possible to exchange text messages with other members in general or private chat (share your opinion about the performance of the speaker or ask questions to the moderator of the conference, etc.). In TrueConf Client for Windows (6.5.8+), users can send files directly from the Chat window.
How to Communicate through Text Chat in TrueConf Online?
There are two ways to send text messages in the TrueConf Online:
- There is a icon , located on the Toolbar. Click it, and you will see the history of the general chat and a list of users that are currently available online:
- From the address book. Open the address book and select the name of the user to whom you want to send a message from the contact list. Click the necessary name, and you will see a box where you can select the "Chat" line: Having the line selected, a window will appear where you can enter your message.
How to Find Out About the Incoming Message?
When you receive a message from another user of the system, you will see the following notification in the lower right corner of your screen:
To reply to a message, simply click on this window.
Sending a Message During a Group Video Conference
During a multipoint video conference you can broadcast your message to every participant by using a "Common" chat tab. All messages in this tab are visible to every participant of the conference.
Additional Features of the Chat
- Text formatting
For a more colorful communication use smileys - funny emoticons, which will show your emotions during a conversation:
This button takes you to the settings menu where you can choose the most convenient format of working with software. When you select a "Chat" bookmark you can adjust the mechanism of saving the history of messages, displaying of a pop-up window while receiving text messages, and more. You can change font and size of your text here.
- Clear history
This button appears only when you choose the chat history icon . Clicking on the Clear button will delete chat history with your conversation partner.
There is a button labeled "Call" in the chat window, clicking on which you can call the other user and start a video conference.
With this button you can add some information about your contact in the address book. If such information is already listed in your contact list, the button will be in the disabled state .
- Show/hide the chat history
By pressing this button, you'll be able to access the chat history.
- Send file(s)
Click to send the files to the user or to the several conference participants in Common Chat window.