Video Meeting Room
Video Meeting Room is a room designed for personal or group video conferencing. It can be equipped with a single microphone mounted on the podium or with a whole set of various equipment. Often the term video meeting room is referred to as conference room or conference hall.
The level of technical equipment of a video meeting room depends on a number of participants to be present during a video conference.
Video Meeting Room Equipment
1. Capturing an Image. A video camera is necessary to record a video signal and to display it on the screen of other user. You can use any device - from ordinary web camera built into the laptop to PTZ cameras specifically designed for video conferencing. PTZ cameras are equipped with a turning mechanism, and they may respond to the voice. Therefore, when the Speaker will speak, a camera will automatically "turn" to his side and will broadcast the performance on the participants' screens.
2. Displaying Video. Plasma or LCD panels, multimedia projectors, TV sets, and even ordinary computer monitors can be used as means of displaying a video signal. To achieve the telepresence effect multiple screens can be combined into one large video wall/split screen. Each screen is a separate and independent unit. Special controllers for video wall are used in order for the screens to work in sync with each other.
3. Providing Sound. The means of sound transmission in video meeting rooms are as important as the preparation of video displaying equipment. You may use ordinary microphones for sound capturing and speakers for its transmission. However, to conduct workshops or virtual meetings in which there are lots of active participants it is better to use conferencing systems, which are basically a complex of audio equipment for negotiations. Conference systems consist of several microphones, which are installed at the participant's desks, and a conference's central control unit.
4. Additional Audio Elements. Sometimes ordinary speakers are not enough for normal playback and clear signal. Some issues may occur during audio playback, e.g. echo, hiss, swish, or even sound loss. In order not to encounter such problems, it is better to use special echo cancellation devices - speakerphones, which can be connected into a chain to cover large areas. And if you have to communicate with foreign partners, you may use a synchronous interpretation system in order to avoid language barriers. This complex equipment acts as an online interpreter.
5. Interior. A proper illumination is an important factor when equipping a video meeting room. It is known that strict cold shades activate the "working" sentiment of the participants, while warmer ones allow them to relax and tune in a friendly atmosphere. As for the illumination at a video meeting room, the first thing to keep in mind is that it should be comfortable for all the participants. Typically, conference rooms are designed for numerous participants, which is the reason why most video meeting rooms are quite large. To visually expand the space even more, you may install additional wall lamps and point them upwards. The area of video meeting room should increase significantly afterwards.
Technology of the Future. In the spring of 2012, a Russian video conferencing system developer TrueConf introduced a new solution: video conference control based on using gestures. Being at a distance from the screen, users can "push" the buttons by a single wave of a hand. This unique solution became a sensation, as it allowed users to control a video conference from the distance without even leaving his seat!
Interactive Tables. Instead of ordinary large table filled with all kinds of printed documentation, and small tablet computers, video conference participants can use large interactive tables that can be controlled by touch. You can achieve this effect by combining telepresence with Microsoft Surface tablet computer. As a result, you get a huge interactive multi-touch display, which makes a great alternative to a usual iPad! On this table video conference participants can collaboratively develop design projects, presentations and work on various documentation. Cameras will record their movements and transmit them to the participants on the other side of the screen.
Author: TrueConf Team